VIP SURVEY #2
VIP SURVEY #2
Chest Tubes, ET Tubes, PA Catheter
Enclosed is a copy of the AACN VIP Survey results on clinical practice issues. The Volunteers in
Participatory Sampling (VIPs), is a group of AACN members who are demographically representative of
our total membership. The VIPs provide AACN with a mechanism to reach a larger number of our
membership and survey their thoughts and opinions on a variety of topics. AACN utilizes the VIPs to
validate identified issues, trends, and concerns in critical care nursing. VIPs serve on a one year term and
commit to responding to up to six mail or phone surveys.
Survey #2, completed Jan=93, is based on a response rate of 69% (620 members). The percentages for
each question may not always add up to 100%. Participants may not have answered a particular question,
may have been told to check more than one answer if applicable, or they may have mismarked the
question, making it unreadable to the scanner.
In some cases, the number of people responding varied. In order to accurately represent the data, the
number of respondents for each question is in parentheses immediately following the question.
SECTION 1: CHEST TUBES/ET TUBE/PA CATHETER
1. How many critical care units does your hospital have in which there could be patients with
chest tubes? (615)
1 unit 16%
2 units 21%
3 units 21%
4 units 17%
5 units 27%
2. What types of chest tubes do some or all of the critical care nurses in your facility remove?
Mediastinal only 3%
Pleural only 6%
Both mediastinal & pleural tubes 12%
3. What types of patients have their chest tubes removed by some or all of the critical care nurses
in your facility?(check all that apply)
Cardiac surgical patients 12%
Thoracic surgical patients 7%
Thoracic trauma patients 5%
Other patients 5%
4. If nurses remove chest tubes, do you have a written standardized procedure or protocol which
is followed? (154)
Yes; we use a written protocol or procedure 44%
No; we do not have a written protocol or procedure 56%
5. Are the nurses in your critical care unit removing/discontinuing pulmonary artery catheters?
Yes 52% No 48%
6. Are nurses in your unit advancing pulmonary artery catheters? (610)
Yes 21% No 79%
7. Are nurses in your unit pulling back pulmonary artery catheters if the catheter is wedged? (613)
Yes 54% No 46%
8. Are nurses in your unit pulling back pulmonary artery catheters to the right atrium (RA) if the
catheter is in the right ventricle? (604)
Yes 41% No 59%
9. Are nurses in your unit removing/discontinuing endotracheal tubes? (609)
Yes 61% No 39%
10. For those units where nurses are removing ET tubes, are the nurses doing this procedure in
conjunction with other disciplines? (check all that apply)
Respiratory therapist 54%
Unlicenced personnel 0.01%
11. Are nurses in your unit removing temporary transvenous pacemaker wires? (604)
Yes 19% No 81%
- Related pdf books
- SEVERE SEPSIS INITIAL RECOGNITION AND RESUSCITATION AUDIT TOOL
- Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy: A Nurse’s Guide
- By Anthony W. Mcguire, Jo-Ann Eastwood,
- Contrast-Induced Nephropathy in Critical Care
- improve your practice personalize your program
- AACN Chapter Quarterly Financial Reports: A How-To Session
- PCCN Exam Handbook - American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- Be an AUTHENTIC LEADER - Critical care nursing
- No Interruptions Please
- Patient-Specific and Surgical Characteristics in the ...
- Long-term Issues After the Fontan Procedure
- SEVERE SEPSIS INITIAL RECOGNITION AND RESUSCITATION
- AACN Certification Corporation
- NTI 2009 Session Summary Format – Main Conference and ...
- American Board of Nursing Specialties Position Statement on Value
- Beacon Award Glossary of Terms - American Association of ...
- Shivering Management During Therapeutic Temperature ...
- Popular epubs
- NCC RK VIP NCC West Franken- Ost 1 7A Messezentrum Nürnberg ...
- VIP X1600 XFMD: Manual (English)
- Business and Finance 2010 All-Staff Survey Survey Open March 1-12 ...
- 2011 Young Life and Times survey: Preview of survey results
- Faculty Technology Survey Faculty Technology Survey Faculty ...
- Desert Research Institute Laser Equipment Survey Form
- Developing a conceptual survey in fundamental quantum physics
- NICE clinical audit survey report
- Clinical Instructor Survey
- EYISPN Survey 06082010