What is a frame?
what is a frame?
• structured representation of concept
– causal, temporal, intentional relationships
– attributes and values
frame semantics – default values
• also ref***ed to as:
script, scenario, scene, cultural model, cognitive model, idealized
cognitive model, domain, schema, experiential gestalt
language, mind, and culture • frame semantics
– word meanings are defined relative to frames
zoltan kovecses – contrasts with truth conditional semantics in which meaning is
defined by necessary and sufficient conditions
• how to define by • essential feature: fifth day of the week?
• knuckle part of finger – week only has meaning in terms of its constituent
• finger part of hand days
• hand part of arm – day only has meaning in terms of earth’s movement
• finger-hand-arm part of around sun
• defined against background of frames for day
relationship between and week
knuckle and other body
parts is crucial for • note that week is a culturally constructed
understanding the concept
meaning of this concept
– nature only has alternation of light and dark
framing friday framenet project
superstition frame weekend frame
• project at ucb to specify frames needed
to understand language
competition frame competition frame: elements
• competition: name of • prize: the prize won in a
• elements competition competition
– competition, participants, place, prize, rank, score, – joe lost the democratic primary – john won a bronze medal.
• participant i: identifies first or • rank: ranked results of a
and venue only participant in the competition competition
– joe won the lottery – john came in third
• people (participants) participate in an organized – joe defeated leslie at tennis • score: the score in the game
rule-governed activity (competition) in order to • participant 2: identifies the – the yankees won the game 2-0
second participant in the – the yankees won the game by 2
achieve some advantageous outcome. rank competition runs
and score are different criteria by which the – joe defeated leslie at tennis • venue: the venue of the
degree of achievement of the advantageous – the yankees won the world – the padres will play in petco
outcome is judged. • place: where the event takes
• elements connected by events place
– john’s 3-0 win at wimbledon
– lose, win, defeat, come in, play, etc. sur
- Related pdf books
- Complementary perspectives on metaphor: Cognitive linguistics ...
- Introduction to Physiological Psychology
- Smoothing and cluster thresholding for cortical surface-based ...
- For the sake of argument - University of California, San Diego
- Cognitive Development 19 (2004) 385–400 Effects of age ...
- R. Gibbs. 2008 - UCSD Cognitive Science - Home
- Features of Social and Geometric Images and their Effects on ...
- Modeling recombination’s role in the evolution of
- 1 Interpreting Event-Related Brain Potentials
- Curriculum Vitae Seana Coulson
- Human Navigation - UCSD Cognitive Science - Home
- Michael Cole - UCSD Cognitive Science - Home
- Announcements Infantile Amnesia - UCSD Cognitive Science - Home
- Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Human Cognition
- Observing Cognitive Complexity in Primates and Cetaceans
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTONOMOUS MENTAL DEVELOPMENT, VOL. 5 ...
- Popular epubs
- Digital Photo Frame
- FRAME DOORS 16 GA. 6 1/8 16 GA. 1 3/4
- Air Frame WIPT
- The Frame of Critical Mind and Self in Fukuda Tsuneari (4)
- Ten-Frame Compare
- SPARE 47 37 15 85 40 Importer: Dealer: MAIN FRAME ATTACHMENT ...
- FROM THE FRAME UP
- NEW WORLD TIMBER FRAME e-bro 2011
- DESIGN SOFTWARE SPACE FRAME USING MERO SYSTEM INTEGRATED WITH SAP ...
- Progressive Scan Full-Frame Shutter Camera TM-9701