Chapter 14: Stress and Health
Name: __________________________ Date: _____________
1. The process by which we perceive and respond to events that threaten or challenge us
B. psychophysiological illness.
C. spontaneous remission.
2. A stressor is a(n):
A. lower back muscle that frequently produces a feeling of physical tension.
B. competitive, hard-driving, impatient person.
C. environmental event that threatens or challenges us.
D. exercise program designed to increase our ability to handle normal stress.
E. hormone released by the adrenal glands during periods of stress.
3. Hans Selye referred to the body's response to stress as:
A. the fight-or-flight response.
B. the general adaptation syndrome.
C. Type B behavior.
D. psychophysiological illness.
4. By accelerating the buildup of plaques on artery walls, the release of stress hormones
C. asthma attacks.
D. spontaneous remission.
E. shrinkage of the adrenal cortex.
5. Epinephrine, norepinephrine, and cortisol:
A. are released by the thymus and lymph glands.
B. accelerate the proliferation of lymphocytes.
C. divert blood flow from muscle tissue to the body's internal organs.
D. accelerate the buildup of plaques on artery walls.
E. decrease heart rate and blood pressure.
6. The university's psychology department and school of medicine are co-sponsoring a
new professional program that applies behavioral and medical knowledge to health
and disease. They are clearly offering a new degree in:
A. medical psychology.
B. human engineering.
C. holistic medicine.
D. behavioral medicine.
7. Type A is to ________ as Type B is to ________.
A. realistic; idealistic
B. introverted; extraverted
C. bright; dull
D. hard-driving; easy-going
E. optimistic; pessimistic
8. Friedman and Rosenman referred to competitive, hard-driving, impatient, and easily
angered individuals as ________ personalities.
D. Type A
E. Type B
9. Estée's legs are paralyzed, but she is able to minimize the stress that the inability to
walk might have caused by viewing this handicap as a challenge rather than a threat.
This illustrates the importance of:
B. relaxation training.
C. stress appraisal.
D. the general adaptation syndrome.
E. the Type A personality.
10. When Hans Selye injected rats with an ovarian hormone extract, one of the
symptoms he observed was that:
A. their right cerebral hemispheres became enlarged.
B. the number of T lymphocytes in their body increased.
C. their adrenal cortex shrank.
D. their secondary sex characteristics became exaggerated.
E. they developed bleeding ulcers.
11. Andrea's physician has suggested that a program of relaxation training would
provide the best treatment for her high blood pressure. The physician probably
considers Andrea's hypertension to be a(n) ________ illness.
12. Rush hour traffic is to an upset stomach as ________ is to ________.
A. fight; flight
B. Type B; Type A
C. lymphocyte; macrophage
D. hypertension; indigestion
E. stressor; stress reaction
13. In response to stress, the pituitary gland signals the adrenal glands to release:
14. The subfield of psychology that provides psychology's contribution to the
prevention and treatment of illness is known as:
A. medical psychology.
C. health psychology.
D. behavioral psychology.
15. Cameron, a 50-year-old electrician, opens his pay envelope and, to his surprise,
finds a pink slip inside indicating that he has been fired from his job. Which phase
of the general adaptation syndrome is Cameron most likely experiencing?
A. fight or flight
C. alarm reaction
- Related pdf books
- Chapter III: Answers to the 2007 AP Psychology Exam
- Cast List Fiddler
- Reeths-Puffer High School Parent/Teacher Conferences March 6th ...
- Rocket Invitational 4/15/11
- Regina Schlaff, Director Catherine Gilson, Accompanist
- CHAPTER 9 STUDY QUESTIONS
- Contact Information: Background Checks
- Crucible Practice Test
- Popular epubs
- LIMITED MEMBERSHIPS AVAILABLE TO THOSE WHO EXPECT THE VERY BEST
- Generator Drive Sales Handbook
- state of ohio w4 form 2013
- International High School Graduation Equivalencies
- konica bizhub error codes printing
- DBH VIC TH WOL SABO DBH VIC TH WOL SABO DBH VIC TH WOL SABO
- CAB Ebooks Title List by Subject Area
- GroupWise WebAccess Basic Interface
- 2003 WISCONSIN ACT 280
- Personal Information Management